Raksha Bandhan a festival of sacred relation between brothers and sisters is on 2nd August of 2012.On the auspicious day of Raksha Bandhan, sisters visit their brother or sometimes brothers are invited over by sisters for the celebrations. Sister did puja in favor of her brother, put tilak on his forehead and ties rakhi on her brothers wrist a symbol of love, affection and trust who will protect her from all hardship.Sister and brother shares sweats along with all family members. On that exchange brothers present return gifts and a harmonious environment been created and everybody enjoy those moments . This festival been observed from ancient edge.
So this is the right time to make this Raksha Bandhan extra sweet by adding the flavor of your roots. You can prepare hand made sweets and Saviour it on this auspicious occassion.Our recipe specialist Recipe Rita, brings to you grandma special sweet treats that will let you break free from the done and dead sheeras, kheers and even those artificially sweet ready made mithais…
Trust us, when we say that no restaurants in Delhi can make them like mommy – no one can!
Jaggery and Fennel Phirni
Ingredients (3 servings)
Milk 2 ltrs
Fennel powder 25gm
Silver leaf (for garnish)
Pistachio (for garnish)
1. Wash and soak rice. Make a fine paste and keep aside.
2. In a deep vessel boil and reduce milk.
3. When the milk is reduced to 1/3rd, add the rice paste stir continuously for 10 minutes.
4. Sweeten with jaggery and add fennel powder.
5. Dish out in individual dishes and cool in refrigerator.
6. Serve cold, garnished with silver leaf and pistachio slivers.
- Recipe by Chef Vikas Mudgal, Executive Chef, Dum Affairs
Saffron essence ½ tsp
Cardamom seeds 1 tblsp
Nuts (of your choice) 100gm
Milk ½ cup
1. Beat milk and 50gm ghee into the flour and then pass through a fine sieve.
2. Mix 2 cups of water in sugar and prepare a syrup of one-thread consistency.
3. Heat remaining ghee and put in the gram flour when it is half fried.
4. Add the khoya and roast it till the mixture turns golden brown.
5. Put in the syrup, nuts and cardamoms.
6. Keep on stirring till the mixture turns thick and leaves the sides of the vessel.
7. Mix in the essence and put in a greased plate, level the surface, cover with warq and set aside to turn cold.
8. Cut into pieces and store in an airtight tin.
Ingredients (For 10 pieces)
For the filling-
Grated Coconut (Narkel Kora) 3cups
Cardamom powder 1/4 tsp
For the crepes-
Refined flour (Maida) 1cup
Seomlina (Suji) 1/2 cup
Rice flour 1/2cup
Sunflower oil for frying
For the filling-
1.In a wok heat the jaggery, as it starts melting add the coconut
2.Put in the cardamom powder and stir till the coconut mixes well with the jaggery
3.Cook till the coconut feels sticky
4.Take out of flame and keep aside
For the crepes-
1.Add all dry ingredients together and mix well
2.Pour the milk with constant stirring to avoid lump formation, the batter should be smooth and freely flowing (add excess milk if required)
3.Heat a frying pan (preferably non-stick) and pour in 1 tablespoon on oil, spread it with a kitchen paper
4.Take a small bowl of batter and spread it evenly on the pan to make a round shape, do it quick before the batter sets
5.Place the filling lengthwise at the center of the crepe
6.Fold the crepe from both sides and wait till it turns light brown
Ingredients (3-4 servings)
Rice 1 cup
fresh coconut 1 ½ cup
grated jaggery 1 ½ cup (according to taste)crushed or grated.
Cardamom powder ½ tsp
Cloves 4 nos
Cashew nuts 1 tbsp (chopped)
Raisins 1 tbsp
Ghee or oil 2 tbsp
Water 2 cups
1.Wash rice, drain and keep aside for an hour.
2.If you are using desiccated coconut, soak that in warm water.
Cooking Sweet coconut rice – Narali bhat
3.Heat ghee in a deep pan. Reduce heat to minimum. Add cashewnut pieces and fry a little. Remove and keep aside to add later.
4.Add cloves. Fry for a few seconds till you get the aroma.
5.Add drained rice. Fry for 2 minutes on low flame. If using basmati rice, handle with care.
6.Add 2 cups water and cook the rice till just done.
7.Add grated jaggery and grated fresh coconut. Mix well.
8.Cover and cook for 10 minutes on low flame.
9.Add the cardamom powder, cashew nut pieces, raisins and mix well carefully. Don’t let the rice get mushy.
Try them at home and serve it at this special occasion and write your valuable comments to let us know that how we are helping you hone your culinary skills!
To know more on recipe, best restaurants in your city, events and entertainments, festivals visit Buzzintown.com.